Three perfect plans for an easy-breezy summer meal – a refreshing drink, a light salad, and a moist berry cake.
Apricot Mini Punch
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Calorie count: 200 calories (per serving)
For the apricot mint sours:
12 fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp sugar
A splash of apricot nectar
100 ml gin
For the sour mix:
¾ cup simple syrup
1 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup fresh lemon juice
Fresh mint sprigs
- To prepare the sour mix, blend together the simple syrup, lemon juice, and lime juice. Cover and keep it in the refrigerator until chilled.
- To prepare the apricot-mint sours, muddle the mint leaves and sugar in a pitcher. Add the gin, apricot nectar, and sour mix, and mix until combined.
- Garnish with an apricot wedge and mint sprigs. Serve with crushed ice.
Tip: replace the gin with pineapple juice for an alcohol-free version.
Beetroot Radish Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Calorie count: 100 calories (per serving)
200 ml red wine vinegar
100 g castor sugar
4 beetroots, peeled
150 g radishes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp sea salt
For the dressing:
50 ml olive oil
50 ml beetroot water (after boiling)
2 tbsp poppy seeds
¼ tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar and salt with the vinegar until the sugar dissolves. Then add the whole beetroots and enough water to cover them. Cook over a medium-low heat for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the cooked beetroots using a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Reserve the liquid. Place some radish slices in the reserved beetroot juice for around 30 minutes until they take on a pink hue.
- Cut the beetroots into thin slices. Arrange some in overlapping layers in the middle of a large, round plate. Put the radish slices in concentric circles around the plate.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad.
Tip: garnish with chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds for extra crunch.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 55 minutes
Calorie count: 300 calories (per serving)
200 g raspberries
½ cup yogurt
2 tsp baking powder
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lemon zest
1 cup sugar
110 g butter
- To begin, heat the oven to 180℃. Grease a cake pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then, beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Next, continue beating while adding one egg at a time, ensuring each one is smoothly beaten before adding the next.
- In another bowl, add in 2 tbsp flour with raspberries and add the remaining flour along with baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Toss in the flour mix to the egg, one spoon at a time, alternating with yogurt. Mix well until a smooth batter is obtained.
- Spread 1/3rd of this batter on the cake tin and scatter half of the berries on top. Repeat with another third of the batter and remaining berries. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Let the cake bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Let it cool in the tin for 8-10 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to completely cool the cake.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.
Tip: Substitute the yogurt with cream cheese for a richer taste.
Related Post: Sinful Delights.